Colby Whetstone at home
Colby Whetstone, Dundalk, MD
In November of 2004, Tiffanie Stroh received a phone call that her 3-year-old son, Colby, had been in an accident and was badly burned. Colby somehow managed to get a hold of some gasoline. The fumes caught fire, setting the child ablaze.
Colby sustained serious burns on nearly 50 percent of his body, including his face, hands and from the waist down. Colby underwent multiple surgeries and was hospitalized at Hopkins Children’s for more than two months, followed by months of rehabilitation.
His treatment included harvesting skin for temporary grafting to prevent infections. Colby underwent repeat surgeries to remove scar tissue form his face, ears, inner tights and had had some of the skin from his stomach transplanted to his face.
He is an energetic and dynamic child who loves to play soccer and video games. He loves movies and bowling.
Colby and his mom discussed what happened during a Radiothon interview in 2008.