We opened Nov. 21, 1912 as The Harriet Lane Home for Invalid Children, the nation’s first pediatric hospital affiliated with an academic research institution, Johns Hopkins. Baltimore banker Henry Johnston and his wife Harriet Lane bequeathed our founding funds in memory of their sons, who died in childhood from rheumatic fever. By 1930, our clinicians had discovered that sulfa drugs can prevent its fatal cardiac devastation.
For nearly a century now, we’ve been pushing the boundaries of American pediatric medicine and developing world-class care for the sickest children and their families. We continue our history of developing and delivering a revolutionary brand of medicine and the dedication.
Learn more about the innovation and brilliance of those - past and present - whom we recently celebrated in our historic move May 1, 2012, from our Children's Surgical and Medical Center building, constructed in 1964, to the new Charlotte R. Bloomberg Children's Center in May 2012. The legacy of the Harriet Lane continues.
Download the .pdf ofThe CMSC Years 1964-2012: The History, Science and Legacies of the Children’s Medical & Surgical Center
at The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Check out our Centennial Celebration!